Monday, May 9, 2011

Weak Week...

Happy Mother's Day to all the momma's who read this.
This week B and I stayed our busy selves, she with school, me with mommy stuff.
I'm trying to get this blanket done by the end of this month.  I am close to finishing the body of it, but need to work on and learn how to apply a border.  Time is running out for my Jenkintown ladies to guide this process.
Home stretch!

As every parent knows (even non parents know it too) kids are picky eaters.  B is a "vegetarian" who tries to eat as few vegetables as possible.  My challenge is to teach her about good balanced meals within our diet and then get them in her.  So we have carrot pennies, or broccoli bushes with snow fakes (shaved parm.) or corn logs.  These are tried and true.  Add soups and pastas from scratch, fresh breads and there are lots of possibilities.  Throw in an egg and some beans and rice and we've got even more options.  But I tell ya, I'm running low on'um...ideas that is.  I need some inspiration.
This week to mix it up I made a puree carrot and ginger soup.  B ate one bowl with a "mah" response.  "Mah. Not my favorite", she says.  I of course completely disagree.  It was sweet with just a hint of zesty ginger. I made pasta with fresh pesto.  More Mahs.  We had fresh tomatoes with fresh smoked mozzerlla cheese and fresh basil (my personal fave), her response...you guessed it, Mah.




What is a mom to do with Mahs?

Our Friday night Mommy-and-Me night was Tangled and veggie dogs (I say Mah, she says pass the ketchup!), with fingerling roasted potatoes.  No mahs here.  But the desert of angel food cake, whipped cream and fresh fruit got an big ol' mah!


 Enough of this! I decided I would up my game in this department.  I added a 1/4 cup sugar to one cup water. Brought them to a boil. Added my blueberries and rasberries (1 container of each) and cooked it for about 10 minutes.

 Desert...take 2!




Her response...a clean plate.

Whew!


Things I love-
Motherhood-
It is the greatest thing I've ever done. It is challenging in ways I never imagined.  It is draining and energizing all at once.  B makes me laugh, dance, and play.  It is because of her I pay attention to politics, where we live, what we eat and the people we surround ourselves with.  It because of her that I want the world to be good and not just O.K.
I love being part of her growth,  and watching her change.  She has rationale now and uses it. She lays out  two sets of clothes for school because she's not sure which one she'll feel like tomorrow, but she knows she'll like one of them (right down to the shoes). She's working on her first novel she tells me this afternoon, and she wants to be an illustrator when she grows up too.
Even on it's worst days, being a mom is an amazing gift.

This is how we spent Mother's Day...





The Muppet Show
B and I rented the complete 2nd season from our local library have been reliving my childhood Sunday nights.  I forgot how great the characters are.  The grumpy old men in the balcony, the chickens and that wacky Gonzo, the blue guy who looks like a bald eagle, and of course Kermi and Piggy.  As a mother of a daughter who loves variety shows I have to say I think the Muppet show was the best (after Carol Burnett, Dean Martin, Sunny and Cher, Hee-Haw,the Gong Show, and of course Lawrence Welk Show).




Hats-
I have quite a collection from comfy baseball to page boy to wide brim.  A good hat gets you out of brushing and styling.  It can take an outfit from "mah" to "ah." It keeps protects and deflects (gotta love that).  In honor of the royal wedding last week and the derby this week...I love hats!



Thanx for reading....


No comments:

Post a Comment