Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Having a Ball!

So knitting is harder then I thought.  I think part of me expected to be a prodigy and master knitter in only a week. Ah reality...Well I can "cast on" just fine. It's holding the tension while transferring to the second needle that gets me.  My knit is loose and just doesn't feel right.  I've spent the week re-doing my swatches. Yet I am not frustrated enough to scrap it.
To help me careen along, I am using two books to help me look like a knitter. The first is titled " Knitting For Baby," by Melanie Falick and Kristin Nicholas. They have easy to follow instructions with pictures and handy tips like the mantra "Needle in, yarn around, needle out, stitch off (I sing it to the melody of "I am 16 going on 17" from the "Sound of Music")." The authors project ideas are inspirational but too advanced for me at this time. The other book is "Knitting in Plain English, by Maggie Righetti. She has written a couple of books and is very, very thorough in her instruction.  This is the kind of book you should read before you start knitting.  It's like a class.  By that I mean she writes as if you are in a class with her. It's personal yet structured. No fuss, no romance, just action and loads of advice, which I need as I am a S-L-O-W learner.
  
I thought I'd include a picture of my yarn ball.  I am very proud of it. Hopefully I'll have a little something to show next week.  




B and I worked on poaching eggs for breakfast and a dinner this week. We typically boil water and drop the  egg in and hope for the best, which often ends in a soggy broken mess. This time I was inspired to used a ladle to keep the egg out of water and give it a more suitable shape for sitting topside an English muffin. It worked great.  I kept the water line low, put the lid on for steam and voila--a pretty poached egg (well...pretty enough for my 5 yr old to eat with out complaint).  




The ladle was fine for one or two eggs but, who wants to eat breakfast in shifts?  I want to find a poaching tray now.  

This weeks food mission:  Bread (gasp). 

J

1 comment:

  1. Your ball looks great, can't wait for it to turn into a scarf.
    Love the poaching trick. I have a tiny poaching pot but it too only cooks one egg at a time. The Admiral tells me it's cheating anyway and we should be able to perfectly poach an egg in boiling water. Grrr, I have not had very nice results with that method either.

    ReplyDelete