Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Goals for the Year

I do not make “New Year’s” resolutions. I can never keep them but a few weeks (days would be more accurate). What I like to do instead is set a couple of goals. And I don’t mean “Loose 20 lbs by spring break” kind of ones either.  I mean realistic, fun and hopefully useful ones.  
This past year my family and I moved a few times. One big cross country one and two little ones.  Why is this relevant? Well because it brought to light that I do not have as many hobbies or skills as I would like to. Every new place was an adjustment and I spent quite a bit of time feeling idle. Couple that with feeling a bit nostalgic (as I am missing my friends and family) and you have a recipe for disaster. One of my goals last year was to become a better cook. I scoured and devoured cook books and web pages for recipes and tried as many as I could. Today I feel a lot more secure in the kitchen then I did a year ago. I am married to a chef whose from a great culinary family.  I had to do step up too. I’m no Iron Chef but I can make a couple of really great meals.  Baking is a bit harder. I have found great joy in the processes, finding it at times like mediation and very renewing. Mostly I enjoy feeding my family. I love to hear my daughter’s praises about how “I’m the best cooker ever, even better than daddy…but not gramdma, she’s the bestest.”
Someday I’ll be that good I know. In the mean time I want to continue growing. I feel a bone-deep need to. So this year I have a two interests that have been very persistent  in my psyche. The first one is a life long love. I’m not sure when it started, I just know I have been fascinated by accents and language since I can remember. I think my imaginary husband/boyfriend as a child had a sometimes French and sometime Spanish accent. I have a good vocabulary for French and Spanish, but it is not the challenge I am looking for. My husbands family has a very heavy German component. I can learn the vocabulary and practice with the cousins! My approach thus far has been to learn as a child. My daughter and I practice counting, saying the alphabet, the colors etc… basic vocabulary. Sehr gut. 
My second goal is one that I have admired for the skill. It hits on the nostalgic feelings I’ve been harboring too. I cherish the gifts that have come to me from friends and loved ones.  
The skill is knitting. 
It seems so relaxing, and structured at the same time. I’ve just purchased a started kit and I’ve youtubed a couple of how to videos too! Maybe I’ll knit something German. 
So…Learn German well enough to speak to a German and knit a scarf, these are my goals for this year.  
J

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately for me the cooking came too late, I look forward to some making up next time I see you.
    I think we both know what I have to say about the knitting thing, again I had no idea.
    Full of surprises.
    I have had the same new years resolution every year for probably about 10 years now, I find it so hard to keep I usually break it on the first day...Be less judgmental on myself as well as others. Seems pretty simple I know but so hard to keep.
    LOVE
    P.S. My fantasy boyfriends still have accents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. F,
    I like your resolution, I also know how hard it is to keep. I see it as a reminder that we are judgmental by nature and to use those judgments for seeing the brighter side of a person or situation or thought. Maybe see it as more of an opportunity to learn something new and (thus grow) rather then a means of attack (thus a defense). For me I know I am harshly judgmental. I feel it weighing me down. That is a partly why I wanted to blog. It makes me accountable. I have to say "it" out loud, so to speak. I also do not fail well. This again follows the same rational as judgment. If I post it, it'll be seen (maybe). I am open to learning new things and for me that means self-awareness, reflection and action.
    Will I learn to be conversational in German this year or knit a sweater or play a concerto?. I do not know yet. I will try. I will get better every time I do. I know I will learn to respect and appreciate others for their talents and judge them more favorably, leading me to greater happiness. Which is what I ultimately (and selfishly) want.

    You're already a bit part of that in ways I can not express yet.

    Thank you for reading,

    J

    ReplyDelete