Monday, September 19, 2011

Treasures

I can't believe how fast last week flew by.  I hate to say it but...Where does the time go?
Well, in this place it goes everywhere.
I have been studying for a guide licence in our new home town.  This place is steeped with some amazing history and I think it would be great to share it.  It's simple.  Study the history, know it, create a script and pass the city test.  O.K. I'm in the studying phase now. I think I might even get to dress up!

B is the same silly sweet and happy gal as always.  This weekend she read a chapter book called "Junie B Jones  and the Mushy Gushy Valentime" by Barbara Park.  I've read one or two of these to her before.  They are not my favorite.  The stories are written as if told by a 6 year old and that means poor grammar and misspellings. Not a great enforcer for correct spelling and speaking.  I had decided to discourage her from reading them(gently of course.. "Ooooh look B a Princess book!").  However in talking with my sister in law this past weekend about her own sons and their young reading days, I have decided that perhaps Miss Junie B has something to offer that I had not expected.  B is reading.  She is sitting, engaged, excited and proud of her accomplishment.  Each page is one step closer to finishing the book.  She nearly jumped out of her skin when she finished the book.  She read the last two or three chapters to herself.  I could see her pointing and reading each word, pausing where she had to sound it out, her face thick with concentration. She spent 20 minutes retelling me the highlights.  I love how happy she is at her new skill. I treasure this time.


Today is national Talk Like  a Pirate Day.  If you can bring yourself to do it, give someone a good aarrrrrrh and let them know you care.  They'll probably thank you for it (maybe?).




Thank ye for readn' 

J






No comments:

Post a Comment