Monday, April 11, 2011

What a week...

This week was a sick week. B was down and out--which means I was too. We laid low and had a restful and sleep filled week.
I did work on B's afghan. That is more of the same.  It is getting quite big though.





We worked a bit on our German vocabulary. I of course gravitate toward manners first.  It won't do to be bad mannered in any language.  We've got the colors and numbers down pretty solidly. Going to work on the  alphabet and food this week  B is actually pretty good at memory and recall of terms  She brings me our little bag and flash cards to practice.  I have the makings of a lil' nerd.

Food front this week was a bit weak as you could guess.  We ate a lot of broth and bread and fudgsicles.
There were a couple of shining stars this weekend though...

One of them was an Omelet!!  I made my first french style omelet. Perfect yellow like butter and creamy in the middle.  Heehee it was good too.  And I am so very proud!!!!! B said it was yummy and creamy like a dream--(hee-hee).  It might have been the cold meds. talking but I'll take it.

Directions...




Try not to be distracted by Julia's amazing hair.

The other deliciousness that occurred this weekend was a marbled brownie.  I again used MarthaStewart.com and cooks.com for recipes and combined for one that worked well.  I wanted more decadence in my brownies too, so I added nutella to the cream cheese mixture.  Everything is better with nutella.


Ingredients

  • 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for pan
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, room-temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons Nutella/hazelnut spread

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush a 9-inch square baking pan with butter. Line bottom and two sides with a strip of parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on the two sides. Butter paper, and set pan aside. In a small bowl, whisk 1 cup flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
  2. Place 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter and chocolate in a large heat-proof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of gently simmering water. Heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes; remove bowl from pan. Add 1 1/4 cups sugar; mix to combine. Add 3 eggs, and mix to combine. Add flour and cocoa mixture; mix just until moistened (do not overmix).
  3. Prepare cream-cheese mixture: Whisk cream cheese with 2 tablespoons room-temperature butter. Whisk in 1/4 cup sugar, 1 egg, and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons of Nutella. Alternately spoon chocolate batter and cream-cheese mixture into pan; with the tip of a paring knife, swirl to marble.
  4. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool in pan for 30 minutes. Using paper overhang, lift brownies out of pan; transfer to a rack to cool completely (still on paper). On a cutting board, using a dampened serrated knife, cut into 16 squares.






    I topped it with homemade whipped cream and mascerated strawberries (strawberries in sugar and balsamic vinegar).  




    Lastly...


    Things I love!
    Nutella-
    I do not care what you put it on, it makes it better. It is my favorite condiment. Chocolaty, nutty...oh so good.  One of my favorite ways to eat it is right out of the jar... no! I mean I like to dip pretzels in it.  B likes it in her hot chocolate.
    Sunny days-
    Is there anything better than warm sun kissing the skin.  So good and so good for you.  B and I would go out for short little stints outside this week, for fresh air and warm sun.  It made her "sickies" feel better.  
    The internet-
    I know that sounds dorky, but it has been my source of contact with far away friends and family.  I'm nostalgic like that.  We do not own a T.V. so I get my news and gossip (love the trashy tmz's and such) feeds from it.  I get music and movies from it.  Crafting and educational sources.  It is how the world works now.  My 70 yr. old grandfather in Florida uses Texts to catch up! WT...? Crazy world, I know, but the Internet keeps it organized and efficient.  






    On that note...


    Thank you for reading.


    J

1 comment:

  1. I was distracted by her amazing hair...although I was more distracted by the pics of those yummy-looking brownies. :)
    Hope the "sickies" have scampered and you are both full recovered!

    ReplyDelete