Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring please come soon. We need you.

Oh boy, purling.  I was not sure about this. It started off really badly.  I know it's knitting but it looked like a bunch of knots.  If I knit with only knit stitch it's still knitting, right? I decided it might be better to try it after a good nights rest (that and J kept asking me to, "listen to this!" as he read aloud from Craigslist rants).  The next day I read through a couple of books and gave it another more focused try.  I DID IT! I did a seed pattern for several rows.  I decided I did not like the look of it so I gartered for 2 rows and then switched to K2 P2 for couple of rows.  Yeah!!! I made a great swatch.  I'm going to start on a blanket next week.  This week I'll be making as many different pattern swatches as I can, just to try them.  I have also discovered that I really do need to be sitting up, comfortable and focused. I make less mistakes that way.


On the home front, my better half has made his way down the East Coast to the Sunshine state.  Him being gone so often and for so long has really made me aware of how important a piece of our little family he is.  He does not get enough credit for all he does. We miss him terribly.


In his absence, and in preparation for our departure, we have begun to spring clean.  I do not mind winter that much, but man am I happy to see it go.  B too is going stir crazy.  Her kindergarten class has been confined to the gym for recesses for the last three months.  I could not be a teacher for this reason alone.  Those kids must be going bonkers!
I think we need to clear away the cold cobwebs and the slumber sorrows, and by clear, I mean CLEAN.  We went through the closets and  packed away all but a few winter items and brought out the lighter, prettier ones. We wiped down the walls, washed windows and scrubbed floors.  All while listening to our favorite show tunes.  B is a fan of musicals. A fact I am completely grateful for. This weekend we watched Mamma Mia (Meryl Streep version) 2 times. The girl loves ABBA.  Our musical odyssey also made the ridiculously daunting task of  cleaning her room only ridiculous.  I mean, how does one little girl get so much stuff? She has stuff in stuff.  It took 2 hours to go through her stuff. That is the entire ABBA Gold Album! She's one girl!! Mamma Mia is right!


B getting ready for her big number at the book case. 

As if all this cleaning was not enough this week, I Fonzied the drain in the bathroom sink too.  Yeah, Super Mom.  Actually, I am pretty impressed with my handyman prowess on this one, as it is normally a Super Dad job.  I dumped 1/3 a cup of baking soda down the drain and followed it with 6 cups of hot vinegar (2 cups at a time).  It was gross, but it worked.  I can't take credit for recipe though.  I read an article in this months Cruising World magazine by Connie McBride called, "Viva Vinegar!" She has great ideas for vinegar use, every thing from cleaning solutions(our windows and walls) to tenderizing meat to chocolate cake.  All simple, inexpensive and easy to use.

On that note, dinners were simple, inexpensive and easy this week too.  We are being very conscience of our consumerism these days.  I am spending a budgeted amount on food a week and no more. So the recipes are going to reflect that.  I made a bean soup, with a savory cornbread, heuvos rancheros and salad, fresh pasta with roasted garlic sauce, and French toast with the last of our homemade rustic loaf and a berry reduction.  All from scratch mostly.  I did not lay the eggs, nor grind the flour,nor grow the berries.  I did use dried beans in the soup, fresh veggie stock, fresh baked bread.and berries frozen last fall.





You can call me Mrs.Frugal McDugal in the kitchen.


Thanks for reading and we hope spring is coming your way soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment