Monday, March 14, 2011

March Madness

I had my first knitting lesson on Tuesday at Stephanie's in Jenkintown.  Rene and Stephanie were busy working when I met up with them.  Rene was working on a new scarf with a beautiful flat ribbon like fabric.  It looked as if it could be an embellishment on a Broadway costume.  It was delicate and intricate all at once.  I have knit envy.
It turns out that I have taught myself more than I thought.  I knew how to cast on and knit!! What I needed was pointers on tension and technique.  Holy-moly..
Well, I knit that crazy this week. I could not help myself.  Why did I wait so long to learn this! It is instant gratification. I knit and there it is. No waiting for results.  I can make what ever I want.  I was even able to fix my mistakes (those pesky extra and dropped stitches).  By the end of the week I'd finished one skein of a garter stitch scarf and was reading up on how to add a ball.

145 rows. 22 sts wide (3190 sts!!!)

J (my husband) was home on Monday.  He did the taxes while I knit ( how funny is that sentence). While doing this we discussed dinner.  What should we have?  "We have a rutabaga," I said. "Hmmmm, I'll see what I can do," he said.  This is what he did...


Veggie Pot Pie made with fresh rutabaga, left-over rice, carrots, and green beans.

Here's what I did with it...

J pot pie with arugula beet salad with goat cheese.  



B and I laid low, making "fancy" dinners and doing our favorite activities. Knitting for me and drawing for her.  I got her a sketch book in October when we were traveling up the east coast visiting friends and family.  She's used it as a memory book of sorts. She uses colored pens and crayons and has been happy with them.  Well this weekend I introduced her to charcoals.  It has opened up a whole new world to her. She pulled out some of her art books and started trying to copy the sketches. She has been drawing everything in her view or "Still lifes," she tells me.  The conversations with her have been some of the sweetest and entertaining to date.  She's an Artist, and proud of her messy black smudged hands (in her eyes the sign of a true artist).  I love her perspective on the world around her. It's so simple and good.  It's funny how this little growing person can affect me so.  I wish all the world could be as she is now.  Life would be easier.  We'd get along so well.  We'd have so much fun.  Keep in mind this is coming from a person who wants to come back in my next life as a house cat, just so I can sleep and eat all day.   



Charcoal and chalk  by B


Having said this I want to write something about the events this weekend in Japan.  I feel a great sadness for the loss of life there.  I can not imagine what it is like to be missing someone you love in all that chaos.  It makes me want to keep my friends and family as close as possible.  I want to tell them all how much I love them.  How much I value them, how my life is better because and with them.  
We are all in this together.  Help when you can and be kind to everyone you meet.  They are someones loved one.  

xoxo  

J






   





No comments:

Post a Comment