Sunday, August 14, 2011

Pass the tissues please...

Well this week was pretty sick.  We spent the better part of it in jammies and under the covers.  We tired of movies pretty quick too.  Luckily we have books.  So we read aloud to each other.  B started in on chapter books earlier this spring.  We've read a couple of very short ones from The Secrets of Droon series (Tony Abbott).  These books are a combination of Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter books.  It's fun to read them with her and see all the ways the world could be magic.  This week started reading "The Wind In The Willows," by Kenneth Grahame. These are simply great classic stories and they have pictures too.  Today she started the Little House On The Prairie series " Little House in the Big Woods."  I loved these books when I was a girl. I am so glad she gets to read them.  These are a bit longer and definitely more comprehensive. A challenge for the girl is good though.
While she read I began working on knitting in the round.  I worked a round scarf on rounded needles.  They work fine.  You have to pay very close attention to which way your stitches are facing as they can get twisted easily.  Which mine did.  So I decided to try the rather complicated looking three double needle method. I chose size 3 needles (which is pretty small) for my first round project.  Which is hat.  I have very pretty yarn and loads of patience.  Which I needed.  Not for the knitting, but my yarn ball was loosely spun by the yarn shop(I usually wind my yarn into a ball myself but the contraption the shop had wound it in like 2 minutes.  Actually B did it) and it became a bit messy in use.  Really it became a big knotted mess for which I threw several very colorful adjectives at.  Turns out that doesn't help knots.  I ended up spending that hour getting out and re-rolling my yarn (namaste right!). Well long of the short I finished the hat.  I found the 3 needle method actually easier than the round needles and will probably stick to them for my round knits.






Next project finger-less gloves!


Thanks for reading,  

J

No comments:

Post a Comment